Við-fallOld Norse Dictionary - við-fall
Meaning of Old Norse word "við-fall" in English.
As defined by the Cleasby & Vigfusson Old Norse to English dictionary:
við-fall Old Norse word can mean:
- n. the lowering the tree (the mast = viðr), Fas. ii. 515.
- 2. metaph., ná öngu viðfalli, to come to no conclusion, Bs. i. 911; væntir mik at eigi fái þeir viðfall þaðan af, Karl. 233.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚢᛁᚦ-ᚠᛅᛚᛚ
Younger Futhark runes were used from 8th to 12th centuries in Scandinavia and their overseas settlements
- metaphorical, metaphorically.
➞ See all works cited in the dictionary
Works & Authors cited:
- Fornaldar Sögur. (C. II.)
- Biskupa Sögur. (D. III.)
- Karla-magnús Saga. (G. I.)