SortaOld Norse Dictionary - sorta
Meaning of Old Norse word "sorta" in English.
As defined by the Cleasby & Vigfusson Old Norse to English dictionary:
sorta Old Norse word can mean:
- 1. að, [Dan. sort], to dye black, n. G. L. iii. 282.
- 2. u, f. a black dye, B. K. 83.
- COMPDS: sortulita, sortulitan, sortulyng.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᛋᚢᚱᛏᛅ
Younger Futhark runes were used from 8th to 12th centuries in Scandinavia and their overseas settlements
➞ See all works cited in the dictionary
Works & Authors cited:
- N. G. L.
- Norges Gamle Love. (B. II.)
- B. K.
- Björgynjar Kálfskinn. (J. II.)
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages descending from Old Norse.