RýraOld Norse Dictionary - rýra
Meaning of Old Norse word "rýra" in English.
As defined by the Cleasby & Vigfusson Old Norse to English dictionary:
rýra Old Norse word can mean:
- ð, [Ulf. rjurjan = φθείρειν], to make small, merl. 1. 35
- 2. part. rýrandi, diminisher, Lex. Poët.
- II. metaph. to depreciate, disparage, make little of.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚱᚢᚱᛅ
Younger Futhark runes were used from 8th to 12th centuries in Scandinavia and their overseas settlements
- metaphorical, metaphorically.
➞ See all works cited in the dictionary
Works & Authors cited:
- Lex. Poët.
- Lexicon Poëticum by Sveinbjörn Egilsson, 1860.