HliðaOld Norse Dictionary - hliða
Meaning of Old Norse word "hliða" in English.
As defined by the Cleasby & Vigfusson Old Norse to English dictionary:
hliða Old Norse word can mean:
- að, to give way, go aside, recede, Fas. i. 106, 338, Bs. ii. 132, Karl. 233.
- II. reflex, to become open, Sks. 384.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚼᛚᛁᚦᛅ
Younger Futhark runes were used from 8th to 12th centuries in Scandinavia and their overseas settlements
➞ See all works cited in the dictionary
Works & Authors cited:
- Biskupa Sögur. (D. III.)
- Fornaldar Sögur. (C. II.)
- Karla-magnús Saga. (G. I.)
- Konungs Skugg-sjá. (H. II.)
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages descending from Old Norse.