As defined by the Cleasby & Vigfusson Old Norse to English dictionary:
gassi Old Norse word can mean:
- a, m. a gander: metaph. a noisy fellow, a ‘goose,’ Gísl. 10. Band. 8 (in a verse), Karl. 474; g. ok glópr, El. 15.
- COMPDS: gassaglæpr, gassaligr, gassaskapr.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚴᛅᛋᛋᛁ
Younger Futhark runes were used from 8th to 12th centuries in Scandinavia and their overseas settlements
- metaphorical, metaphorically.
- proper, properly.
Works & Authors cited:
- Banda-manna Saga. (D. II.)
- Elis Saga. (G. II.)
- Gísla Saga. (D. II.)
- Karla-magnús Saga. (G. I.)
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages descending from Old Norse.