As defined by the Cleasby & Vigfusson Old Norse to English dictionary:
dauss Old Norse word can mean:
- m. [mid. H. G. tûs; Fr. deux], the dice; kasta daus, to cast a die, Sturl. ii. 95.
- II. the rump, of cattle, Fas. ii. 510, cp. dof.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᛏᛅᚢᛋᛋ
Younger Futhark runes were used from 8th to 12th centuries in Scandinavia and their overseas settlements
- French in etymologies.
- idem, referring to the passage quoted or to the translation
- mid. H. G.
- middle High German.
Works & Authors cited:
- Fritzner’s Dictionary, 1867.
- Sturlunga Saga. (D. I.)
- Fornaldar Sögur. (C. II.)
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages descending from Old Norse.